about Wallendorf Porcelain

A brief History of the Wallendorf Porcelain Manufactory

Some 50 years after the invention of porcelain by Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus and Johann Friedrich Boettger, Wolfgang Hammann from Katzhütte founded the porcelain manufactory Wallendorf together with his son on March 30th in 1764, just after they were granted the license to manufacture porcelain by the duchy of Saxony-Coburg.

Already in 1780 Hammann succeeded to produce a strikingly pure white ceramic body by using Czech kaolin, which was “dazzling white, finely grounded and so hard that it caused sparks on steel”.
The Wallendorf porcelain factory was owned by the founding family until 1833 and was then passed on to experienced porcelain producers such as Hutschenreuther, Kämpfe, Sontag, Heubach, Fraureuth and Schaubach. This explains the large number of different bottom marks wich strongly remind of the Meissen trademark. 200 years after the founding of the Porcelain Manufactory Wallendorf, the current brand “W” was finally introduced. A “W” beneath a cross-ornamented crown and the founding year of 1764.

Traditional porcelain production

The Wallendorf Manufactory has always felt an obligation to the traditional art of manufacturing porcelain. The production programme includes the artisan production of tea-, coffee- and chocolate- services (since 1764) as well as figural art works (since 1785), and various ornamental series. The over centuries refined formula of the ceramic compound still is a carefully guarded production secret.
Unchanged however is the traditional production process, new technology is only used additionally where it seems technically sensible. Here skilfully handcrafted, elegant porcelain is made, which gives its owner a sense of art and inspiration in everyday life. Therefore one can find exhibits with the Wallendorf bottom mark in museums from New York, London and Berlin to St. Petersburg.

Fine china for collectors and connoisseurs

The services of the Wallendorf Porcelain Manufactory, known as the “Dresmer Teegood”, are produced in the old original shapes and decors with the original molds: For example, the fine art of drinking tea, established in East Frisia, is refined by the decors “Blue Dresmer”, “Red Dresmer” and “East Frisian Rose” and has always had a pride place in the household. Collectors especially appreciate the figurative representations made by the Wallendorf Porcelain Manufactory. Here each character is unique, molded, composed and painted by hand or produced as bisque porcelain.

Recent events
Since early 2006, the Manufactory Wallendorf also produces Gilitzer porcelain as well as assortments of the brand Design House next to the traditional brand Wallendorf. The production of the Gilitzer bone china ranges has been integrated into the current production of hard porcelain with great effort and a lot of technical sophistication. All of this was only possible thanks to the commintment and many overtime hours of the senior ceramists. The month of November 2009 was overshadowed by the insolvency proceedings of the lawyer Thomas Dithmar from ‘Schulze & Braun, Erfurt’. This bankruptcy is the first the Wallendorf Porcelain Manufactory has to go through since the denationalization after the german reunification. This makes Wallendorf no longer member of the exclusive circle of porcelain manufacturing companies that did not have to survive insolvency, like the Meissen Porcelain Manufactory. Sadly many production sites did not survive bankruptcy, with the result that Germany, as a traditional land of porcelain production, lost many cultural and historical landmarks as well as traditional jobs. The Wallendorf porcelain Manufactory sees it as its duty to prevent further developments is this direction. An almost 250-year-old tradition of porcelain production shall not end due to individual self-interest!